In August 2022 individuals logging into the Bituach Leumi website noticed that requirements regarding Bituach Leumi (National Insurance) payments for foreign caregivers had changed.
Unfortunately, but the instructions regarding the change were contradictory and confusing.
Of late, however, employers and agencies have received written notice of the change and its effective date.
𝗛𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝗶𝘀 𝘄𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗼 𝗸𝗻𝗼𝘄:
- As of August 2022, every employer must make Bituach Leumi payments for its foreign caregiver in an amount equal to 𝟮% 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲𝗴𝗶𝘃𝗲𝗿’𝘀 𝘁𝗼𝘁𝗮𝗹 𝘄𝗮𝗴𝗲𝘀. For purposes of this calculation, wages include 𝗯𝗮𝘀𝗲 𝘀𝗮𝗹𝗮𝗿𝘆 (𝗶𝗻𝗰𝗹𝘂𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴 “𝗽𝗼𝗰𝗸𝗲𝘁 𝗺𝗼𝗻𝗲𝘆”), 𝗽𝗮𝘆𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘄𝗼𝗿𝗸 𝗼𝗻 𝗿𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝗱𝗮𝘆𝘀 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗵𝗼𝗹𝗶𝗱𝗮𝘆𝘀, 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗿𝗲𝗰𝘂𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗽𝗮𝘆. This new policy is a change to the previous policy which required employers to pay only on that portion of wages that exceeded ILS 5500/month.
- If you receive hours from Bituach Leumi and are employing a caregiver through a nursing care agency (i.e., your hours go to the Agency and the Agency generates a monthly payslip), then you must pay 2% on your portion of the wages, i.e., the amount you actually pay to the caregiver each month.
- The new requirements are effective as of August 2022; employers are recommended to pay retroactively to cover any deficit in 3rd Quarter of 2022 (July – September).
- In the guidelines, Bituach Leumi separates payment requirements (mandatory) and reporting requirements (mandatory in cases when salary is NIS 5500/month). For administrative ease we recommend paying and reporting simultaneously online (see link below).
- Payments are made to Bituach Leumi quarterly (payments are due on the 20th of the month following the end of the quarter).
- Should your caregiver submit a claim for a benefit from Bituach Leumi (work injury, maternity allowance, etc.), Bituach Leumi will ask for supporting documents regarding wage payments, such as printouts of the bank account into which wage deposits were made by check or bank transfer, in order to calculate the benefit rate. 𝗪𝗲 𝗵𝗶𝗴𝗵𝗹𝘆 𝗿𝗲𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗺𝗲𝗻𝗱 𝗸𝗲𝗲𝗽𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗿𝗲𝗰𝗼𝗿𝗱𝘀 𝗼𝗳 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝘄𝗮𝗴𝗲𝘀 𝗽𝗮𝗶𝗱 𝘁𝗼 𝗮 𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗲𝗶𝗴𝗻 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲𝗴𝗶𝘃𝗲𝗿.
𝗙𝗼𝗿 𝗠𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝗜𝗻𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗺𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻: Bituach Leumi call center number *6050 or *9696
Stay updated. Click on the link below to receive our newsletter straight to your inbox (we promise not to Spam you) : JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER